What Is A Breast Revision Surgery?
Breast augmentation is one of the most common cosmetic procedures in the U.S., and in most cases, creates beautiful and natural outcomes. Unfortunately, sometimes a woman can be dissatisfied with the results of her breasts and may need breast revision surgery. Keep in mind not all breast revisions are because of surgeon error. While few breast augmentations do end with a poor outcome, there are individuals who want a larger or smaller implant, while some may have a defect and prefer to have the implant corrected or taken out altogether. Furthermore, some women must have revision treatment for a unique condition. New Orleans, LA plastic surgeon Dr. Heath Charvet performs breast revision surgery and gives an in-depth evaluation at Magnolia Plastic Surgery and MedSpa so that a healthy and desired outcome is achieved.
"Look no further! Experience: Dr. Charvet and his staff are amazing!! I had a tummy tuck with lipo to flanks and abs on November 18th. Dr. Charvet gave his cell number so I was able to contact him with any post-op concerns...on a holiday! Surgery is scary and being able to have access to my surgeon when needed made the recovery process 100 times easier. His staff are all so kind and caring. Ashley made me feel incredibly comfortable with personal "female" post-op concerns. Everyone is so welcoming and Dr. Charvet's bedside manner is the best I've ever seen. Results: I can’t express enough how happy I am with my results! I went from hating my body and depressed to look in the mirror to loving myself again. This surgery is game changing. Just do it! Have the surgery!!! 10 out of 10 recommend!"- G.C. / Google / Jan 04, 2023
"When I was ready to have my partial mommy make over I had visited and researched many practices and as soon as I met Dr Charvette and the staff at Magnolia I knew I was done looking immediately. Their bedside manner is outstanding and they made me feel comfortable from the time I reached out to book a consultation, through surgery day, and now with my post op follow up appointments. I had a breast lift and my results are beautiful! Recovery was easy, they set me up for success prior to surgery answering questions and providing suggestions of what would assist me the best after surgery. I was up and about the day after surgery with very little discomfort. Now I’m three months out and couldn’t be happier. I also got Botox in my forehead and brow just to round out the refreshed look that I had in mind for myself. I wish I had reached out to Magnolia plastic surgery and medspa earlier. I recommend them to anyone who asks who I went to for my procedures. I will most definitely continue to visit them for injectable’s and medspa services, as well as any other surgical procedures I may want in a few years."- C.S. / Google / Oct 20, 2022
"Very pleased with my results. I had zero pain and no complications. Dr. Charvet is extremely talented and his staff is amazing."- B.W. / Google / Sep 30, 2022
"Great experience and overall care. Dr. Charvet and his staff have continued to exceed my expectations. He has an excellent bedside manner, is very thorough in explaining what he will be doing and takes his time to answer any questions or concerns you may have. I’m very pleased with my results so far and would recommend him to anyone who is looking for a thoughtful, considerate and knowledgeable plastic surgeon."- J.C. / Google / Aug 03, 2022
"Couldn’t be more pleased with my results so far! Dr Charvet took the time to consult with me about what I wanted and gave me exactly that. I had a Mommy makeover (lipo, tummy tuck with muscle repair, fat transfer to breasts and hips) This experience has been nothing short of amazing. I’ve regained my confidence and my core strength! Since surgery, I’ve been back for laser hair removal, Botox and lip filler. The staff and Dr Charvet care about their patients and are always available to answer any questions. I’d 100% do it all over again and will be a repeat patient for any future procedures."- R.J. / Google / Jun 22, 2022
Why is breast revision Performed?
This cosmetic surgery either removes an implant that is not working or functioning correctly or is no longer desired. Breast revision surgery may also be performed to change implant size or go from an implant to a fat transfer (or vice versa). There are other common situations where a revision procedure is needed:
- Asymmetry: Asymmetry occurs when the implants look out of balance. This may be due to a wrong size implant or drooping on one side or another condition that may cause asymmetry. A physical examination would need to be made to determine what is leading to the asymmetry, then surgery would be implemented to correct the problem, and finally, a new set of breast implants would be positioned to create a balanced result.
- Bottoming Out: Bottoming out is a condition that happens if one or both implants drop too low or "bottom out." In many cases, this is a case of a positioning error from the original surgery. To modify this, a different placement strategy may be needed. For some patients, tissue grafting will be needed, in addition to a surgically formed pocket to fit the new implant. For most women, going to a silicone implant can solve this problem.
- Breast Size: There are times a secondary breast surgery is as straightforward as receiving a smaller or larger sized breast implant. With the original surgery, you may have opted to go too big or too small. A new breast implant size can be placed to reach the desired goal.
- Capsular Contracture: This is the term used for scar tissue hardening, which occurs when the delicate tissue that surrounds the implant becomes hard and thickens. Although many implant surgeries do create some internal scarring, most individuals will never realize this. In some cases, the hardening tissue could interfere with implant placement, which may change the breast shape and deliver an undesirable outcome. Capsular contracture surgery to clean up and remove scarring would be recommended.
- Implant Rippling: This condition occurs when you see obvious rippling and wrinkles beneath the skin. This deformity generally forms around the edge of the implant. Rippling is generally found in women who are of low body weight. Often, this condition can be corrected by simply switching to a silicone breast implant.
- Implant Rupture: Although this is rarely seen, breast implant rupture may occur. When a saline breast implant ruptures, the implant will deflate almost immediately. Because of this, a visible change will occur. On the other hand, if the implant is silicone-based and ruptures, it is only seen via an MRI. Either way, when a rupture happens, secondary surgery will be needed.
- Symmastia: This condition happens when breast implants are positioned too closely together. Most often, this is because the breast implant used was the incorrect width, shape, or size. A revision treatment will repair this problem by using an implant that works with your frame and looks balanced.
- Animation Deformity: This abnormality occurs when the implant is placed under the muscle resulting in visual displacement of the implant as the muscle contracts. It is most commonly encountered with breast reconstruction. Exchange to a pre-pectoral (over the muscle) revision can eliminate this abnormality.
What Can I Expect with Breast Revision?
After your procedure and an observation period, you can go home to begin your recovery. The recovery period varies based on the complexity of your surgery. A revision that requires complex revision techniques will need a longer recovery that could possibly take up to several months. You should slowly start to see your surgical results once the bruising and swelling starts to disappear. Dr. Charvet or a member of his team will go over what is normal while you recover, plus suggestions to help you heal faster. You should also schedule follow-up visits as directed so Dr. Charvet can monitor your healing and results.
Change Your Mind
Revision surgery for breast implants is a specialized procedure tailored for your aesthetic goals by Dr. Heath Charvet. If you are not happy with your breast augmentation results or wish for a different outcome, we invite you to contact our New Orleans, LA office to make your appointment at Magnolia Plastic Surgery and MedSpa. There are numerous factors to think about, and Dr. Charvet will provide you with a full physical assessment, create your revision recommendations, and help set realistic goals and expectations.